Indonesia’s two largest tour operators are under pressure from their Indonesian tour operators to change their tour dates to avoid the ire of angry travellers, following a spate of deaths in Indonesia.
Apollons tour operator and tour operator Lithuania have been accused of allowing tourists to die while travelling in the country.
Lithuania Tour operator, Nissi Tours, which runs the country’s largest tour operator tour operator tours in Indonesia, has also said it will ban all new itineraries for the coming months.
On Monday, Lithuania Tour operators, Nissea and Nissim, issued a joint statement, stating they “are working hard to change the itineraries of upcoming tours for our Indonesian partners”.
Nissi Tour operators say they are still in the process of changing the itinerary, but said that they will start doing so once the government has a clearer picture of the situation.
“We are aware that the Indonesian government is very concerned by the situation and the safety of tourists in Indonesia and we are looking forward to the new tour operator’s initiative to change itineraries,” Nissis statement said.
The statement said Lithuania tours, which run the countrys largest tour and leisure company tours in the region, are already working on changing their itineraries, but that “the time frame for this is still being discussed”.
Livuur, which is Indonesia’s largest travel agency, has been facing criticism over the deaths of its Indonesian tour operator staff.
In a statement to Reuters, the company said that the number of deaths is “currently at least one”.
“Due to the situation, we have been working with the Indonesian authorities to improve safety for all of our guests.
We will continue to work with our Indonesian partner to improve the safety for guests, and continue to support our Indonesian guests and staff,” the statement said, adding that they would also work with the Ministry of Transport and Civil Aviation (MOTCA) to ensure that “all of our Indonesian tour and tour operators have the best safety protocols”.
It is not the first time Lithuania has faced criticism for its safety.
More than 50 people have died while travelling to Indonesia in the past two years.
According to the Jakarta Post, in 2016, about 40 Indonesians were killed in the month of October alone.
However, the deaths in recent years have been mostly the result of “tourists falling sick or accidentally falling”.
On Wednesday, the Indonesian Embassy in the US issued a statement saying that the country would continue to take steps to protect the safety and well-being of its guests.
‘We are going to keep on doing the best we can’Lithuanian tour operator Apollonia has said it is still working on a change in itineraries.
Apollonia said it would “continue to work to make changes in the future”, while Lithuania said it was “working to develop safety protocols and provide adequate security for guests”.
According the Jakarta Globe, the statement came after a “fatal incident” in Jakarta, Indonesia in November that left one person dead and four injured.
Police have not released the names of the victims.
Since then, the country has been rocked by protests against the government, including a wave of violence that saw more than 500 people killed and thousands more injured.
The protests, which have been led by a new party called the Movement for Justice, have been met with violent clashes.